Maisie Sokolove’s practice focuses on insurance fraud litigation, with an emphasis on healthcare fraud. She represents insurance companies and other large payors in affirmative civil actions brought to recoup losses sustained as the result of false, fraudulent, or misleading claims presented for payment under policies of insurance or other benefit contracts. The California Insurance Frauds Prevention Act (CIFPA) provides the primary vehicle by which monetary recovery is sought in these matters, and provides the basis for most affirmative actions handled by Maisie.
Maisie has extensive experience litigating unfair and fraudulent business practices, as well as actions grounded in common law fraud. She regularly handles matters addressing a wide array of fraudulent conduct, from medical billing fraud to the unauthorized practice of law in the submission of insurance claims, to prescription drug fraud, to vendor fraud in the workers’ compensation arena. While her practice primarily focuses on litigation, she also regularly interacts with and consults Special Investigation Unit investigators on the best methods by which to detect and eliminate fraudulent claims.
- University of California, Hastings College of Law, J.D., 2005
- University of California, Berkeley, B.A. Distinction in General Scholarship, 2002
- State of California
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of California
- U.S. Court of Appeal for the Ninth Circuit
- People ex rel. TIG Ins. Co. v. Culpepper (2018) 720 Fed.Appx. 884; 83 Cal. Comp Cases 886
- People ex rel. Allstate Ins. Co. v. Suh (2019) 37 Cal.App.5th 253
- Speaker, “Legal Ethics,” 29th Annual Anti-Fraud Conference, Monterey, CA (April 2018)
Honors and Awards
- Selected to “Top Women Attorneys in Northern California” list by Super Lawyers (2012)
- Selected as a Rising Star to the Northern California Super Lawyers List (2010-2012)